Lakhpat is located northwest of Bhuj at a distance of 170 km. This place
can only be reached by road. Lakhpat is the last town situated at the western
end of India, on the India - Pakistan border, at the junction of Kori creek
and Rann of Kutch. Lakhpat derives its name from the prosperous maritime
trade which generated a daily income of One Lakh Koris, (Lac means 1 lakh
and kori was a Kutch monetary unit). According to another legend, the town
was founded by Rao Lakha, so it was known as Lakhpat. Lakhpat is a fortified
town with high walls, several gates and bastions made out of hard stone.
Almost 50 years ago, this town was also the home to hundreds of families
involved in fishing and manual labour but now it is an abandoned town. After
a short period of prosperity, Lakhpat lost its maritime significance in
1851 AD, when the Indus river changed its course. Since after the Indus
river changed its course, the port dried up. Once a thriving town with population
of 15,000, is today a deserted town and only a barren plain of limestone
rock with only few families living here. It is not only the architecture
but the stark loneliness and a vast view of deserted, crumbling houses which
make Lakhpat a rare spectacle.
Tourist Attractions in Lakhpat
The interesting structures at Lakhpat are the tomb of Gosh Muhammad and a Sikh Gurudwara. The tomb of Gosh Muhammad is made of black stone, with four arched doors and its outer walls are decorated with floral motifs. The inside walls are engraved with passages from the holy Koran. The other interesting structures at Lakhpat are the mosque, a structure for keeping Tajia (a Muslim religious float) and a number of temples.